Sunday, July 26, 2015

homemade, challah!

I went on quite the adventure today after discovering this blog.

It inspired me to 1. explore my local goodwill and see what kinds of vintage cookware it was hiding, and 2. make some challah bread and put my bread hood to use with my kitchen aid!

Wanting this to be an adventure, and not just a trip to goodwill, I decided to walk, about two hours round trip to get some fresh air. Good thing I did, because I found a goodie on the way there!

I found this one on the side of the road! It's vintage Descoware - a company that used to make enamelware before Le Creuset purchased it in the 60s. It has a dime-sized chip in the enamel so it may not be useable, but it sure is pretty.

Goodwill find: vintage pyrex. It just so happened to match the pan that I picked up 30 minutes before. It's really pretty and came in really handy for bread baking!

After finding that bowl at the Goodwill in Emeryville, I tried my luck at the one in downtown Berkeley, but unfortunately they did not have nearly as much stuff. If I had driven to the store in Emeryville, I probably would have come home with a lot more stuff. I will be keeping my eye out for more of these bowls though.

Later, I decided to make some homemade challah bread. I got the recipe from the kitchn, written by Emma Christensen. Their photos are really helpful in figuring out what everything should look like at every stage. 

Putting the dough hook to use on the kitchen aid! It made kneading so easy. My mom was an expert bread maker, and I have very real memories of her kneading bread in the kitchen, punching it down, etc. This whole process reminded me of her. 

Bread braiding! Pretty good for my first try, if I do say so myself. Again, this was another process that reminded me of my mom. I was always fascinated bread braiding. She would do it so quickly and with such ease. Next up I'll have to try a stuffed bread recipe - she would always make one around Christmas to have on Christmas morning... That's where most of these memories come from. Every year, she and my Aunt would make loaf after loaf to give away to friends.

finished product. A little blobby, but a success nonetheless! 

No comments :

Post a Comment