Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Quick trip to Santa Barbara

I took a spontaneous mini trip over the past 48 hours down to Santa Barbara and back up. It's a beautiful city that I would love to visit again, maybe with a little bit more time and planning out.
Here's a little bit about the trip

Getting there
I mostly followed my waze directions to get down to Santa Barbara. I took the 101 instead of the 5 which avoided some of the monotony of I-5 (so boring! so many (dry) farms!). The 101 is also a little monotonous, but I saw the Cuesta forest fire on my way down which was a little scary, it was really close to the highway, like I could see flames right next to my car... and driving by Pismo beach was really pretty. If I were going for a more scenic route I would have taken the Pacific Coast Highway which is beautiful, if not a little scary due to all the curves!

Staying
We stayed at the Wayfarer, which way exceeded expectations. I was visiting with my best friend's sister and her mom so there were three of us. They got there before me and were cracking up as we walked to the room. When the two of them arrived, they were a bit confused because the room was tight and there only appeared to be one bed:
They checked back in at the front desk, confused, asking how we would fit three people, to which the person at the desk responded that there's a murphy bed in the room... again they were confused as to where the murphy bed would be. The guy said he would send over maintenance who came and opened up the murphy bed:
Heh! They used their "air space." Too funny.

The Wayfarer was really clean, had a kitchen you could use that had pots pans and kitchen basics like olive oil and spices. We didn't utilize it but I could see it being really nice if you stayed for a longer visit. The pool was on the smaller side but relaxing after laying by the beach. And our room came with a small veranda with two chairs giving a nice space to lay out if the pool was too crowded. 
I would definitely stay again.

Things To Do
With very limited time to spend in Santa Barbara, we had to choose our activities wisely. We decided to visit two very standard stops... the beach and the courthouse, both beautiful in different ways. We started at the courthouse which was stunning. There's so much history in those walls, I loved that you could just wander around at your own pace.

The beach was also beautiful. We went by the pier by the Wayfarer just to lay around. You could have rented kayaks or paddle boards but we decided to just laze around in the afternoon. The beach wasn't crowded at all despite it being sunny and warm which I really appreciated. Later, after freshening up at the hotel we walked along the coast to watch the sunset. We walked down the cliffs along a path called "one thousand steps" (exaggerated.) and we were able to walk around a bend to see the sun. It was a perfect walk to take right before dinner.




Good Eats
I want to highlight one of the places we went to eat, Tupelo Junction Cafe. After quickly looking up some yelp reviews while downtown and starving for lunch, we happily stumbled into this cafe. They have a southern flare to their food: fried green tomatoes, hushpuppies. Everything we had was delicious, though guilt inducing. I would absolutely head back there for seconds and thirds if I could.

Can't wait for my next trip back to this beautiful place.

photos of The Wayfarer from their website.

No comments :

Post a Comment